Welcome back to another year of exploration, adventures and good fun with friends! What a year 2016 is going to be! It is not just any year, it’s our Cubbing Centenary year! Can you believe it! For 100 years adult leaders and children have been enjoying the outdoors, have had fun with their friends, gone on camps and hikes and have done many good turns, all whilst doing their best!
Take a moment to think about all the fun you have had with your own Cub Pack, memories and experiences that you will always carry close to your hearts. Reflect on all the skills the Cubs have learnt and put to good use! Over the past few years we have shared pow wow’s, camps and competitions. We also took to our communities to get rid of alien vegetation and to build food gardens together with local schools and churches. Some of us even made beautiful art by recycling old cans, bottles and plastic, whilst others re-used old tyres to make play parks for their peers. And this just in the past few years.
So think about it … imagine what a legacy Cubbing has left over the past 100 years? All I can say is that Cubs Rock!
To celebrate Cubs100 we encourage:
- Cubs to talk about Cubbing in their class/church and tell their friends all about the cool and fun things we get up to,
- Districts and Regions to organize a Cubs100 event in celebration of Cubbing. It can be an opportunity for you to engage with community members and get the word out there about Cubs.
- Cubs, Scouts and Rovers to do a project in a local school or Early Childhood Development Centre. The National Scout Office will have grants available from mid-March. For more information or to apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scout Groups to share their Cubbing stories/photos from yester-year to present with us so we can post them on the Cubs100 gallery and SSA social media.
- Last and by no means least, take part in a number of different fun challenges relating to 100. Watch this space!
We will also be hosting the 2nd International Akela event from 6 – 9 August in Gauteng where Pack Scouters from all over the world will come together to exchange experiences! For more information and to register: email email@example.com
Also, throughout the year a number of competitions will be run and great prizes will be up for grabs! So sign up to your regional or national mailing list to stay informed.
That is all from me for now, but I am looking forward to celebrating Cubbing with you all year!
SCOUTS South Africa