The JML Rotary Scout is a 39’ sailing yacht based in Cape Town. Once again the JML Rotary Scout team are planning to compete in the 2020 Cape2Rio Race, one of South Africa’s premier offshore sailing events! The race covers some 3600 nautical miles from Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It starts on the 4th of January 2020 and the race crew are expected to fly home in the week of 2 February 2020.
The race crew eligibility requirements are:
- Be a registered Scout between the ages of 16 and 17. Young
Scouters may apply but preference will be given to Scouts.
- Hold a Helmsman Badge and have suitable sailing experience.
- Be available for crew training in Cape Town from 22-23 November
2019 and from 6-8 December 2019.
- Have a valid passport or be able to obtain one by 15 November 2019.
If more than six applications are received, we will be hosting sea trials in Cape Town from 22-24 September 2019 (this is during school holiday). Prospective applicants should ideally be able to make this, but all applications will still be considered.
All SCOUTS South Africa members as well as members of the public are invited to complete the form should they be interested in crewing on the return journey back to Cape Town. This potentially includes a stopover at Tristan da Cunha, one of the worlds most remote islands! This is also a fantastic opportunity for those looking to gain mileage towards their Yachtmaster qualification.
- Race Crew = R12.000 per Scout + return flight (expected to be
between R10.000 – R12.000)
- Return Crew = R20.000 + flight to Rio de Janeiro
- Scouts who compete in the race and crew on the return journey will receive a preferential rate for the return leg (expected to be about R12.000).
Please note: completing this expression of interest form does not compel you to accept a position or pay any fees.
Info or to apply:
- For more information and queries please email: email@example.com
- All forms are to be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, 15 September 2019.
Yours in Scouting,
Daniel Skriker and Nic Chapman
JML Rotary Scout Team