The Aim of SCOUTS South Africa is to contribute to the development of boys, girls and young adults in achieving their full potentials as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of their local, national and international communities by:
- Developing their character;
- Training them in citizenship;
- Developing their spiritual, social, intellectual and physical qualities.
SCOUTS South Africa’s value-system is based on Lord Baden Powell’s Scout Principles, Scout Promise and Scout Law. Values such as honestly, loyalty, kindness and respect are inculcated through the Scouting activities within schools and communities.
- Duty to God: Adherence to spiritual principles, loyalty to the religion that expresses them and acceptance of the duties resulting there from.
- Duty to others: Loyalty to one’s country in harmony with the promotion of local, national and international peace, understanding and co-operation. Participation in the development of society with recognition and respect for the dignity of one’s fellows and for the integrity of the natural world.
- Duty to self: Responsibility for the development of oneself.
Scout Promise and Law
All members of SCOUTS South Africa are required to adhere to the Meerkat, Cub or Scout Promise and Law as conceived by our Founder Lord Baden Powell.
I will love my God, be kind and stand tall.
A Meerkat always stands tall.
I promise to do my best,
To do my duty to God and my country,
To keep the Law of the Wolf Cub pack,
And to do a good turn to somebody every day.
The Cub gives in to the Old Wolf,
The Cub does not give in to himself.
Do your Best
On my honour I promise that I will do my best,
To do my duty to God, and my country,
To help other people at all times,
To obey the Scout Law.
1. A Scout’s honour is to be trusted.
2. A Scout is loyal.
3. A Scout’s duty is to be useful and to help others.
4. A Scout is a friend to all and a brother[sister]* to every other Scout.
5. A Scout is courteous.
6. A Scout is a friend to animals.
7. A Scout obeys orders.
8. A Scout smiles and whistles under all difficulties.
9. A Scout is thrifty.
10. A Scout is clean in thought, word and deed.
*subject to gender of Scout brother or sister is used
Be of Service