2023 will mark 100 years of the Kandersteg International Scout Centre (KISC), inspiring young people to create a better world and bringing young people together from around the world in peace. Scouts have been invited to join in the celebrations, more specifically in the Kander100 from the 27th of July to the 8th of August 2023 in Switzerland.
SCOUTS South Africa would like to send a Patrol to Kander100 too! More info HERE or below.
What is Kander100?
Kandersteg International Scout Centre (KISC), Switzerland, will celebrate its Centenary in 2023, and SCOUTS South Africa has been invited to participate in the Kander100 celebrations – One of several events in 2023 to mark the 100 years of KISC, is Kander100.
Kander100 will be the highpoint of the KISC Centenary celebrations, a Mini-Jamboree, bringing the world to Kandersteg. The event will welcome thousands of Scouts and Guides from 100 countries all over the world to have the time of their life at KISC for ten days of high adventure and international friendship. It will also include the celebration of the Swiss National Day on 1st August, as well as a video link and joint activities with the 25th World Scout Jamboree in the Republic of Korea, which will be held at the same time. In a world faced with critical challenges, Kander100 will show to the world what is possible when young people live and work together without borders!
Ready for the adventure of a lifetime in the Swiss Alps?
- Scouts: Nine South African Scouts aged between 14 and 18 (born between 25th July 2005 to 31st July 2009) have the opportunity represent SCOUTS South Africa and attend Kander100. Scouts will need to have achieved the Discoverer badge at the time of departure.
- Scouters: If you were born before 25th July 2002, you can apply to be one of two Adult Leaders who will accompany the Patrol to Kander100. (Please note – All costs are for your own account)
What can you expect from Kander100?
- Be close to the mountains! KISCs location offers endless possibilities for adventurous activities, nature discoveries and trips. Challenge yourself and enjoy the spectacular breath-taking alpine scenery!
- Meet the world in the Alps Kander100 is an ideal place to create international friendships and to bridge cultures, interests, opinions, religions, countries, and continents.
- Take care of our environment. At KISC there is focus on improving one’s ecological behaviour and on giving young people tools to take action for the environment.
- Kander100 offers an exciting programme that is adventurous, educational, and enjoyable. There will be plenty of time for socialising in camp, gathering around international campfires, night events, competitions and challenges. It includes a guided alpine hike, an alpine experience and taking part in KISC’s famous camp programme of all on-site activities. The fun never stops! All up, this is the chance to experience the very best activities Kandersteg International Scout Centre and Switzerland has to offer.
Cost of Kander100
- The estimated cost is R40,000 per SCOUTS South Africa participant.
- Once we have established if there is sufficient interest from Scouts for this event, we will attempt to get the best value for money and a good package at a reasonable price, so there will be some variation in the estimated cost, subject to transport costs and Rand foreign exchange fluctuations.
- This fee includes all flights and train transportation to and from Kandersteg; all accommodation at KISC; three meals a day; the Kander100 fee; and all standard Kander100 programme on and off-site activities. (Any additional activities at KISC will need to be paid for separately.)
- In addition to the above Kander100 cost, you will also need to budget for the purchase of special-order SCOUTS SA Kander100 clothing, pocket money and travel insurance (Medical care and any costs relating to hospitalization are not included in the fee).
Is this YOU?
Over 2,000 Scouts will be attending this spectacular KISC Centenary gathering of Scouts from all over the world!!
Will YOU be joining them?
Expression of Interest
- If you are keen to join us to Kander100 complete this Kander100 Expression of Interest Form (Click here) and submit it before Friday 14th October 2022.
- Please note, this is not an application yet! We need to know if sufficient Scouts would be interested in joining in on this adventure, so that we can plan accordingly. We will then share more detailed info, including final costs, and will send an official application form to those who have expressed interest.
Spaces are very limited!! Don’t delay, secure a space in the SCOUTS SA Patrol to Kander100 today!
Kandersteg International Scout Centre
Founded in 1923 by Robert Baden-Powell, Kandersteg International Scout Centre (KISC) is the only World Scout Centre. It hosts the Permanent Mini Jamboree throughout the year, operates in the spirit of Scouting, and strives to achieve the highest environmental standards and sustainable behaviour.
Set in the heart of the Swiss Alps and offering a vision of what the world could be, KISC is a magical place. It brings together young people from different nationalities and diverse cultures and backgrounds to experience high adventure and international friendship, inspire each other, and create a better world.
From the moment you step off the train, 1,200m above sea level, you know you’re somewhere special. Close to nature and away from the distractions of everyday life, you’ll find nowhere else like Kandersteg. That’s why Baden-Powell chose here. A place where you can pitch your tent under the stars, climb mountains with your friends, paddle across lakes and enjoy stunning sunsets at the end of each day.
Over a million Scouts and Guides have visited KISC since its foundation and have lived its values on their return home to make their world a little better than they found it.
The KISC Centenary Celebrations
KISC’s vision is that the centenary is not only going to be a celebration of the past 100 years. It will be the beginning of the next 100 years with Baden- Powell’s dream of a Permanent Mini Jamboree in Kandersteg. “Soon the fire of friendship spreads from one to another, and bonds are tied which last a lifetime, and everyone on returning home is richer for memories and dreams of Kandersteg.” Robert Baden-Powell.
Information compiled by: Theo Rijs, Chair: National Scout Programme