It is National Meerkat Camp-in time again! So gather your Dens and get ready for some wonderful Scouting activities as we meet on Brownsea Island.
Brownsea Island was where the first experimental camp run by BP in 1907 took place. Here he piloted the introduction of Scouting skills to boys. So this year we are going to put the OUT in Sc-OUT-ing and have some wonderful outdoor fun with our Meerkats!
The event is scheduled to take place from 16 to 17 September 2023!
Our National Camp-in was initiated in 2020 when Covid kept us all at home. Our first gathering was entirely virtual. In 2021 and 2022 the format shifted as we were able to hold family and day camps.
This year, Den’s may elect to follow one of three approaches – or mix and match as works for you:
- Family Camp – Meerkats may only camp as part of a family camp. So book the dates, encourage your parents and organise a family camp.
- Day Camp – you could use the camp materials provided and organise a day camp at a suitable venue. Meerkats could build a fort/shelter or pitch a tent at home to complete the fun.
- At home activities – You may decide to send home some/all of the suggested activities for parents to use with their children.
- Den Scouters need to register your Den for participation by the 15th August 2023.
- The Resource Pack will be sent to all registered Dens on the 15th August 2023.
- You will have a month to finalise your menu, programme and equipment for the event.
- Campfire blanket badges will be available to order – details of the procedure and cost will be included in the resource pack.
All registered Den Scouters will be added to a WhatsApp Group. We would love to hear your ideas and share photos. Den Scouters can share photos with parents and Meerkats.*
*Please be aware that if you share photos through the WhatsApp Group, you are thereby also confirming that you have parental consent to share the images online and that you have been given permission to share the photos for use on the Regional and National websites and social media, and use in SSA’s marketing endeavors. It is vital – and a legal requirement – that you have parental consent for this before sharing photos.
Badges and Advancement:
Camping is about having fun outdoors. Whilst we do want children to enjoy earning badges and advancing, the fun of being in camp should be its own reward. We will include the Raft Builder badge in the selected activities. Elements of the Little Camper, Cooking, Healthy Eating, Hiking and Adventure badges could also be included depending on the needs of your Den.
There is no cost to register for the event from the National organisers. You will need to work out costs for your Den to cover venue, catering and equipment. The campfire blanket badge and any interest badges earned will be additional costs.
Click here or scan this QR Code with your phone and register your Den!
If you have any queries please email email@example.com
I am so looking forward to seeing you all on Brownsea Island!
Chair: National Meerkat Programme