Our current Chief Scout Sibusiso Vilane’s warrant comes to an end at the end of September 2017. The Scout Board wants the nomination of a Chief Scout to be an open and transparent process and is therefore asking Members of SCOUTS South Africa to nominate possible individuals to fulfil the role of Chief Scout.
Characteristics expected of a Chief Scout:
- A person of good standing and respect in the South African Community, with recent Scouting experience.
- Must have earned respect from a wide-spread selection of current and past members of the Movement.
- A proven track record in active Scouting.
- Must have an understanding and experience of practice in the Aims and Methods of Scouting in South Africa.
- A family orientated person holding a stable, professional or managerial work position, with a proven record of successful leadership and management.
- A person who lives a life with integrity and purpose, with clear adherence to the principles embedded in the Scout Law and Promise, with special reference to Duty to God.
- A person able to communicate effectively on public platforms and in committee decision making; deal effectively with disciplinary and conflict issues and able to motivate and support volunteers and employees.
- Have a clear vision for Scouting within the context of a transforming South Africa.
- Not be aligned politically, economically or ideologically with any group which could lead to possible conflicts of interest.
Apart from the Boards authority to identify suitable persons for this position it was agreed by the Board to also call for nominations as follows:
- Call for nominations from across the
- Nomination for Chief Scout
- Nominations to be supported by a Proposer and Seconder together with a motivation and CV. Please note that in order to nominate and to second you must be a member of the SCOUTS South Africa Movement and be in good standing.
- Find nomination form here.
- Nominations to be lodged with the secretary of the Board, who is the current CEO, by 15 May 2017 at 12:00 noon. firstname.lastname@example.org
- CEO to collate nominations and submit ALL nominations to Board Chairman by 31 May 2017.
- Board Chairman to notify Board Members in confidence of nominations.
- Board Chairman to convene a sub-committee of the Board to Short list applications.
- Sub Committee to interview short listed candidates.
- Final recommendations submitted to the Board at the August meeting.
Candidate introduced in September 2017.
We are looking for a person with vision and strong leadership skills.
Professor Brian Figaji
SCOUTS South Africa